He was admitted to Sacco hospital for a stroke after returning from Greece. The man had lab tests and several positives had emerged, including Candida Auris
A man infected with Candida Auris, the so-called killer mushroom, died this morning in Milan. According to Adnkronos Salute, after returning from Greece, he was hospitalized in Sacco for a stroke. The man had lab tests and several positives had emerged, including Candida Auris. Since the man has just arrived from Greece, it would not be a native case but an imported case.
What is Candida Auris
Candida Auris is also called super mushroom or killer mushroom because it is very deadly in the most vulnerable patients. Instead, “Auris” is derived from the Latin “ear,” a designation attributed to being isolated in 2009 from the external auditory canal of a 70-year-old woman admitted to a Japanese hospital. Candida auris infections are accompanied by a burning sensation, difficulty swallowing, body aches, fever and fatigue. It should be noted that the skin and other places on the body can be colonized even in the absence of signs and symptoms.
How it is transferred
The known methods of transmission of Candida Auris to date are contact with contaminated surfaces and medical devices and person-to-person, person-to-person contact. This yeast has virulence factors and a surface tropism, which makes it unique for its persistence in the environment and on the skin, enhancing its transmission capacity. In addition, Candida Auris can induce forms of systemic candidiasis, very harmful to the body and similar to bacterial sepsis. At present, these are infections acquired primarily in hospital settings from individuals debilitated by other illnesses, undergoing surgery, or immunocompromised.
Candida Auris in Italy
In Italy, the first case of an invasive Candida Auris infection was identified in 2019, followed by an outbreak that hit northern regions in the 2020-2021 pandemic period, according to the Epicentro website of the Higher Institute of Health (ISS). As of 2019, both imported and indigenous cases have been described or reported, for a total of about 300 cases in an outbreak of an epidemic mainly involving Liguria and Emilia Romagna.
Source: TG 24 Sky
I am Barbara Redford, a professional journalist and writer with extensive experience in news reporting. I have been writing for The News Dept since 2019, covering topics related to health and wellness. My passion is to keep people informed about the latest developments in healthcare and the medical industry. With my articles, I strive to create awareness on various diseases while also highlighting their remedies or treatments.
Aside from writing for The News Dept, I also conduct interviews with renowned doctors and medical practitioners who provide valuable insight into different illnesses or conditions. My articles are often highlighted by several leading health websites as well as magazines due to their quality of information and accuracy of facts.