Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov will remain in his post this week, David Arakhamiya, head of the Sluha Narodu (“Servant of the People”) group, said on Monday.
Sources had previously reported that Reznikov could leave his post this week because he was involved in a corruption scandal after it was revealed that the Ministry of Defense was buying food for the military at prices several times higher than retail prices.
“There will be no personnel changes in the defense sector this week,” Arahamia said. However, he did not explain why Reznikov would remain in office indefinitely. It is believed that such a decision was taken because the party “Slukha Narod”, represented by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, feared that it would not receive enough votes in parliament to appoint Reznikov to the position of minister of strategic industries.
The media reported that problems also arose in the election of the next defense minister.
Major General Kirilo Budanov, the current head of the military intelligence agency, is expected to be a follower of Reznikov. However, he would have to leave the army to take up the post of defense minister.
Ukrainian law stipulates that only a civilian may assume the post of Minister of Defense.
Source: Tv Net
I am Joel Fitzgerald, a news website author for The News Dept. I have worked in the media and journalism industry for over 10 years and specialize in world news. My articles have been featured in prominent publications such as The New York Times and The Washington Post, where I am an expert contributor on global affairs.